Information for School Teachers and TAs
The Communications Trust report A Generation Adrift, January 2013, noting that “[c]ommunication has a strong position in the new Ofsted inspection framework” found that:
‘Recent research concludes that teachers would benefit from more knowledge of pupils’s speech, language and communication development, as well as training in how to assess, measure and develop these skills in young pupils appropriately’.
- ASD accounts for 26% of SEN students in our schools, all of which have communication and interaction difficulties
- 85% of pupil with SLCN do not reach expected standard in reading, writing and maths at GCSE
- 81% of children with SEMH and/or behaviour disorder have unidentified SLCN (Berkow review)
- 7.6% of all children have a significant language impairment / developmental language disorder
Teaching and teaching assistants in the school benefit from Elklan training because they:
- Feel more confident in working with pupils with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) and those with an ASD
- Understand in greater detail the communication difficulties faced by pupil’s with SLCN / ASD.
- Can be a specialist resource to the other members of staff in the school.
- Understand the importance of their role in developing pupils’ communication and interaction
- Can support the communication development of all pupils in the school environment across the curriculum and in the playground.
- Have a range of strategies at their disposal which can be used to support pupils’s communication whatever and wherever they are being taught.
- Feel more confident in interpreting SaLT reports and programmes which means they can be implemented more easily and effectively.
- Know how to modify their interactions which is of benefit to ALL pupils.
- Can change the way they speak to pupils so they understand more of what is said.
- Know how to support a child with interaction difficulties
- Know the types of pupils they can work with and those which need to be seen by the speech and language therapist.
- Are more confident in talking to parents about the child’s speaking, listening and communication skills.
Let's keep in touch
We offer many services, so get in touch to discuss your requirements.